Thursday, July 17, 2014

July 8, 2014 Why are you so.... old...?

This is Sara's last letter from the CCM. Next week she will fly to Chile!!!

Dear family and friends,
So I can spot a newby from a mile away. They have that "deer in the headlights" "where's the food" "I can't find my companion" look.

Anyways, so me and Hna. Sanford and our friends went and sat by some at dinner (we didnt have to ask if they were new. We knew.) And this one sweet spirit starts asking about where i was from... blah blah blah, etc. etc.... and eventually asks how much college I had done, and I said 5 semesters. She looked SO confused, but I could tell what she was getting at because she said (very slowly) "Oh. So you must have gone down to BYU the summer right after you graduated."

(Ding ding ding, what do we have for her, Johnny?)

"Nope, Im 21"
"Oh really?! (Gasp) Is that weird to be so much older than everyone else?"
I gave her the look from nursery (mom put that picture up so everyone knows what we're talking about). And that about settled it.
I wanted to say "Listen, just because Im old enough to tie my own shoes, doesnt mean I landed the ark." But, once again, those kinds of things are frowned upon.
 
P.S. Happy 4th of July. During lunch they had all the missionaries from USA stand up and sing the Star Spangled Banner, and it was one of the most beautiful things I've ever heard in my life. (The staff made an excellent effort at making traditional American food. With a little help from Costco, it was really good.)

I am so excited that this is my last week here, great as it has been. I know Im about to be served a giant piece of humble pie on a silver platter, but I dont care. The sooner the better. 
 
The other day we got to teach a real person (they're all real... but this one wasn't a profile) and it was amazing. It that's what it feels like to teach someone who has been prepared to hear the gospel, then I can't get to Chile fast enough. There was the weirdest, most powerful feeling in my chest. There are no words.

We had an amazing devotional from Elder Bednar the other day, and he talked mostly about developing Christlike attributes. The #1 thing that separates our characteristics from His (other than, you know, Him being perfect) is that He always turned outward to help others, when we would feel like turning inward. He talked about when he goes to visit stakes, and members are always so excited to tell him about their pioneer ancestors that came across the plains. He said he is always tempted to look at them and say "That's great, but what have you done lately?" I have never heard him give a talk that way. He was so serious about how much better we can be. I loved it. Food for thought. "What have I done lately?"
 
Also, what does it feel like for me to be gone?

Children, learn your scripture mastery. Dont worry about memorizing the words, just the reference and the principle. You will thank me later. 
 
Coming soon to theaters: Ive organized my scriptures in the coolest way. Video next week. 
 
I love you all dearly! Thank you for your sweet notes and encouragement. If anyone ever wonders if this is Christ's one and only true church. Listen to these words: It is. 
 
Also, Viña del Mar is in a place called Valparaiso, and Paraiso means paradise. So, there's that. 
xoxoxo
Love,
Sister Coray

No comments:

Post a Comment